Human body undergoes numerous changes at different stages of life. As the years go by and a woman enters her 40’s, her reproductive system transitions and the hormonal imbalances, affect us immensely. To maintain good health, nutrition is a vital key for well-being. Good food leads to overall good health.
Here are some key points to be careful about during menopause.
- MAINTAIN A BALANCED DIET
Our food must include fruits, vegetables, diary, whole grains and protein. This will keep our overall weight in check and provide the key nutrients we need.
- CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D- It is important we keep these 2 in mind as there is bone loss and risk of osteoporosis. Try to include diary products and green leafy vegetables and grains like millets, ragi and fish.
- OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS- Walnuts, fish, flaxseeds have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the risk of heart disease and take care of joint wear and tear during menopause.
- HYDRATION- Drinking water takes care of hot flashes, avoids bloating and takes care of our skin.
- FIBER RICH FOODS- this looks after our gut health and fiber aids in digestion.
- PROTEIN-One of the most vital and often ignored food, is protein. Protein keeps us full and satiated for long.
- PHYTOESTROGENS- Compounds found in certain plant foods like lentils, chickpeas, and they help control mood swings and hot flashes.