Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Karan Johar talked about ‘mental illness’ in a very mature way on the first episode of Season 8 of Koffee With Karan. Deepika’s revelation that she couldn’t figure out her reason for crying and Ranveer Singh being an ‘emotionally available’ partner really is beautiful to watch.
To talk more about depression, Dr Shaunak Ajinkya at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital says, “If a person has 5 or more of them daily for a period of more than two weeks minimum, he/she is most likely to be suffering from depression.”
Here are some common signs we should watch out for in our family/friends.
- The person feels sad, low and helpless for a long period of time.
- If a person is sleep deprived or sleeping too much.
- Refrains from going out or meeting people.
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
- Numerous mood swings, frustration, anger.
- Always feeling tired or low on energy.
- Feeling guilty, incapable of doing much.
- Headaches, pains and consistent digestive issues.
As Deepika said, its imperative to create a ‘safe space’, for anyone who is suffering from mental illness, so that they can express themselves without fear of being judged.
Depression is a medical condition and seeking professional help is the only way out. Being alone worsens it and tender care, conversation and support are the only tools needed to help your loved ones.